Irene
We talk a lot about dyes not being needed and the fact we don't have a clue what inhaling them over time will do. So this morning I decided to start looking at some of the dyes and the chemical makeup of them.
Big mistake on my part. I won't post all of what I have read, no need to. But I do want to post some of the information I read concerning Brilliant Blue FCF, which seems to be a commonly used blue dye in many foods and might be in some e-liquids.
Chemistry
It is a synthetic dye produced using aromatic hydrocarbons from petroleum.[1] It can be combined with tartrazine (E102) to produce various shades of green.
It is usually a disodium salt. The diammonium salt has CAS number 3844-45-9. Calcium and potassium salts are also permitted. It can also appear as an aluminium lake. The chemical formation is C37H34N2Na2O9S3. The dye is poorly absorbed from the gastro-intestinal tract and 95% of the ingested dye can be found in the feces.
Applications
As a blue color, Brilliant Blue FCF is often found in ice cream, canned processed peas, packet soups, bottled food colorings, icings, ice pops, blue raspberry flavored products, dairy products, sweets[2] and drinks, especially the liqueur blue curaçao. It is also used in soaps, shampoos, mouthwash[3] and other hygiene and cosmetics applications. In soil science, Brilliant Blue is applied in tracing studies to visualize infiltration and water distribution in the soil.
Health and safety
In the United Kingdom, Smarties chocolates were colored with Brilliant Blue FCF (top) until 2008, later being replaced with a natural spirulina coloring (bottom).
Brilliant Blue FCF is an approved food colorant and pharmacologically inactive substance for drug formulations in the EU and the United States. It is also legal in other countries. It has the capacity for inducing allergic reactions in individuals with pre-existing moderate asthma.[4] In 2003, the U.S. FDA issued a public health advisory to warn health care providers of the potential toxicity of this synthetic dye in enteral feeding solutions.[5] The following legal limits apply in the EU (E 131) and other countries: 150-300 mg/kg depending on the type of food. Safety limit for foods and drugs: 0.1 mg/day per kg body weight.[6]
Attachments
BlacksmithPro
#1
and that right there is why we advocate against using colorings in liquids. People who vape such liquids are inhaling those dyes and they're exhaling them too. When we say we know what's in e-liquid, we need to be right or the anti's are when they say "we just don't know what's in them".
Irene
#2
The sad thing BSP, that wasn't the worst for the dyes, actually it was one of the better ones I looked at.
Be the first person to like this
Deeds
#3
I love that you included the safety limit in this piece. "Safety limit for foods and drugs: 0.1 mg/day per kg body weight" It makes me wonder if Koolaid meets these requirements (think of the children). I think that E-liquid manufacture is further ahead than most food manufacturers. At under ten years, most producers of E-liquid are truly concerned with what chemicals are in their products. I wish the same could be said for all the food, drinks and candy aimed at and directly marketed to children on a daily basis, yet none at the FDA are concerned with. Sorry for digressing, I agree with BSP, with that said I would like to see colorings added for visual appeal of a product Banned altogether. Not just in E-liquids, but in everything, Sodas shouldn't need to be brown, Ice creams shouldn't need to be blue. If you need to add coloring to sell your product, the product needs remaking, not electric blue coloring to make it interesting.
Last update on January 31, 6:52 pm by LM.
Irene
#4
Deeds, I couldn't agree more.
Be the first person to like this
Arnie H
#5
Very interesting and informative post NancyS.
I've always preferred no artificial coloring in my food, and my drink, and this has been extended to my eliquid.
The effects of inhalation of these substances is certainly an area that needs more research.
Lots of vapers like these bright neon colors, and I suspect a toke or two will not do much harm, long term exposure is likely the key and the thing to avoid.
and  liked this